Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Sunday, August 13, 2006

"The Best Ribs He Ever Had"

Last weekend's practice rib run turned out to very helpful to this weekend's ribfest for the in-laws. My initial plan was to make one rack of maple glazed ribs and one rack of sticky sweet ribs using Sweet Baby Ray's or some doctored version of SBR. After being a little disappointed with last weekend's ribs using the Magic Dust, I decided to go back to basics this time. I rubbed both racks and tips with the rub from the maple glazed recipe which basically consists of brown sugar, salt, pepper, sage, and dry mustard. Very simple and very sweet. The ribs were wrapped and refridgerated overnight.

I started the coals at around 12:30pm and the fire was ready by 1pm. The ribs went on and were smoked with hickory chunks (see my note below about the wood chunks) for 3 hours. After two hours I started glazing the ribs. I glazed them every 1/2 hour for a total of 3 times before they were wrapped. After 3 hours I wrapped the ribs for 1 more hour. I then unwrapped them, glazed them one more time and threw them on my gas grill. After only a few minutes the glaze was perfectly carmelized and the ribs had a beautiful sheen to them. I served them with Emily Densmore's awesome baked beans (slightly modified) and grilled garlic bread.

The ribs were perfect! Tender enough that you could pull the meat off the bone easily but not so tender that that the meat fell off the bone while you were picking them up. My father-in-law said they were the best ribs he had ever had. The beans were a hit too. I will post the recipe for both the ribs and the beans on our recipe page. Feel free to make your own modifications to the beans recipe.





Now, about the wood chunks. It seems as though retailers here in Wisconsin think that the grilling season is coming to a close where as we all know we have at least another month or two before we have to pack up for the winter. Running low on wood chunks, I went looking for more Friday night. My normal stop, Walmart (Hwy-100), had none to be seen. I thought for sure that my other standard, Walmart on Mooreland, would have some in stock. By the way, they are also the place to find the Royal Oak lump which they did still have a few bags of. Initially I did not see any wood chunks but after searching a bit more, I spotted a few bags marked on clearance for $5 each. Knowing I would have a hard time finding more this season, I decided to stock up and picked up all 5 large bags of hickory chunks. That should last me well through this season and the start of next season. So just a warning to all you smokers, if you are need of wood, go out and grab some now becuase come Thanksgiving when you are ready to smoke your turkey, you may not be able to find it.

1 Comments:

  • At 8/14/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    I picked up a big bag of hickory chunks yesterday at Home Depot. They still have their grills out and an entire aisle devoted to BBQ accessories.

    Wood Andiken. Wood.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster