Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Ribs and Ripple

The title of this blog refers to my father-in-law's name for wine- Ripple, which is an old, cheap, fortified wine in the vein of Mad Dog 20/20. I've enjoyed mixing wine with BBQ all summer, even though there can be challenges like tonight.

I did Raichlen's Chinatown ribs. I did as told and used baby backs- Kristen found Smithfield Farms babybacks at Sams. As always, Smithfield doesn't let down- very meaty and well cut.

The ribs were easy to do: first, I adapted them for the smoker, and that worked well. 3 racks, total of about 9 lbs, over 4 hours at 225. Uncovered, then wrapped and rested for an hour. Smokey, meaty, tender, moist. I used pecan and cherry pieces I was given by Dr. Porkenstein himself.

I also adapted his BBQ sauce and used it as a glaze. You can also use it as a marinade, which I did overnight, but I'm a big believer in the glaze now.

Lesson from this day- always remove the memberane when smoking. I usually leave the membrane on baby backs, as they are so tender, the membrane keeps them together. But with smoking, they are falling apart, and the membrane makes it difficult to cut them apart, and the meat just ripped off the bone, and they were kind of a mess. The meat was still great, but not as much fun chomping off the bone. For those whose spouses don't care for ribs (you know who you are, West A), this might be a good option. So from now on, membrane off.

On the whole, I'm following teachings and still doing baby backs for 4 hours on the smoker, no wrapping until they come off, and using glaze when I pull them off (at least for this one- Andiken has good luck glazing as he goes).

No pics- just a full belly.

3 Comments:

  • At 8/21/2006 11:35 AM, Blogger tkrimms said…

    It's not that I don't care for ribs - I just am a bigger fan of steak, porkchops and chicken. Ask Andy - the last ribs I really liked!

     
  • At 8/21/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    So which wines does Joe-Be-Wan prefer with his ribs? Boones Farm Apple Wine? Mogen David? Cold Duck?

     
  • At 8/21/2006 5:48 PM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    Man, T-Bone- assuming the bald man from TN only likes the fortified wines.

    It actually isn't that tough pairing good tasting wines w/ BBQ. When you get your eyesight back from drinking Cold Duck, let me know, and I'll lead you to some good BBQ wines.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster