Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Smoked Chicken with White BBQ Sauce


I will periodically post tales of Southern BBQ. Growing up on the NC border in TN (also about 1 hour from VA), I was exposed to many different forms of BBQ, specifically BBQ sauces. Being mainly a chopped pork guy, I will limit my initial discussions to pulled pork sandwiches and sauces.

Today I will discuss the most unique of southern BBQ and sauces: the white BBQ sauce of North Alabama. This was first made in Decatur, AL by Big Bob Gibson, who now has a restaurant named after him, run by his grandchildren. The original recipe is made to go with smoked chicken, but we found it goes good w/ all meats, including beef. The recipe is simple:

1 1/2 cups mayo (using light is fine)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons black pepper (better if freshly ground)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire (most recipes call for white wine worcestershire, but it is hard to fine. Using traditional is okay)
1 teaspoon salt.

Whisk together until smooth. Serve over chicken, pork, beef.

Big Bob rolls the chicken half in the sauce, but you can serve it on the side.

Smoked chicken: cut a whole chicken into 2 halves (its best to start w/ a whole and cut the spine out, then split it into 2 halves). To cook the chicken, cook over indirect heat for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Keep the temp about 350 F (or until the thigh temp is about 165 or 170). You don't have to turn the chicken or baste. After lighting the fire, place hickory chips or chunks until getting a good smoke, then place the chicken on the grill, away from the heat (hence, indirect heat). Take off when the chicken is firm, juices run clear, and the skin is a dark, golden brown.

Enjoy. Next up is the battle of NC BBQ sauces.

Attached is the photo of my prized Backwoods Smoker.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/21/2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Andakin said…

    I've made this recipe and I have to say that I was not that impressed with the white BBQ sauce. Although when I made it I used Hellmann's mayo. Jo-Be-Wan has since told me to use Kraft mayo so I think I might try it again.

    I have done the chicken halves twice and both times they turned out great!

     
  • At 6/22/2006 6:40 AM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    The sauce goes really well with the chicken. Use plenty of hickory, as the chicken really holds the flavor well.

     
  • At 6/22/2006 4:26 PM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    I think you can leave out the lemon juice- just add more vinegar. Lemon is an additional acid, and adds zing, but I think more vinegar would do the same.

     
  • At 6/22/2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Andakin said…

    So could I also leave out the vinegar but add more lemon juice?? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster