Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Friday, September 08, 2006

The Rib Less Traveled

Some of my Moist Heat Brethren have given me the business for not kow-towing to some Raichlen guy whose show I have never seen and whose books I do not own. Instead, I believe I have taken the path that, as Frost would say, "...has made all the difference."

Since being introduced to BBQ by Andiken and the great Joe-Be-Wan, I have concentrated not so much on the various sauces and rubs and marinades, but on the smoking and the timing and the temperatures required to achieve tender, moist meat on my kettle grill. My goal has been to try and nail down these factors as they apply to the different cuts and choices of meat. Many shoulders and ribs sacrificed their inner beauty so that I might learn and grow in my craft.

Last weekend I had the pleasure of coming across baby backs for $2.98 a pound. I froze two racks and decided to smoke two. As I dove into my preparation, I synthesized all that I had learned, and came up with my most tender ribs yet. One's that I do not think I could improve on. Now that I have a successful method seared into my brain, I believe I can introduce more flavors to my not so adventurous family. New flavors are more easily sold when there is tender, juicy meat underneath.

The pictures below also make "...all the difference."

3 Comments:

  • At 9/08/2006 4:36 PM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    You are right to focus on meat quality first, as it is the most expensive part of this (unless you are buying a new grill or smoker).

    If you are really getting into sauces, I recommend using epicurious.com, and focus on those that came from Southern Living. Or, if you quit hurling insults at me, I can hook you up on their webiste. Peace, Love, and BBQ is another great book for sauces.

    NOTE: BBQ don't tolerate no hippies, so cut that boy's hair. Just kidding, if I could grow it, I would. Except quit getting the perms.

     
  • At 9/11/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger Flamb_Ed said…

    I wouldn't worry too much about Raichlen - his book's are good, don't get me wrong, but I've never been overimpressed by his tv show. Getting the meat right is a fair approach, but I've found that the beauty of a sauce flavour can help to mask meaty imperfections. Good luck with new flavours and sauces - Raichlen's rib book has a sauce to go with every rib recipe.

     
  • At 9/11/2006 8:57 AM, Blogger Andakin said…

    It depends where you're from, but some say that true BBQ should not be masked by sauce. The meat should speak for itself. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster