Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Friday, June 23, 2006

Grilled Chicken Breasts

Last night's main course was grilled chicken breast. The breasts were rubbed for 24 hours with Szegan's Rib rub. I hope that isn't against the rub code. If I wasn't going to finish with BBQ sauce, I probably would have used a different rub. The sauce and rub ingredients seem more compatible.

Notice the new grill thermometer. I also stacked my coals off to one side of the weber to test the "cold" side temperature for my next pork shoulder attempt. With the vents open wide, the temp got up to about 300 degrees. With proper vent management, I should be able to achieve the 220 - 250 degree temp for smoking with the weber.

Someone say more about the "Minion Method" of coal management for BBQ. Is anyone on Moist Heat a Minion practitioner?

3 Comments:

  • At 6/23/2006 9:11 AM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    Your grill set up looks good. I forgot about the Minion method. I'm more into the Moist Heat method. Be careful about mixing rib rubs and chicken. Rib rubs tend to have lots of sugar in them, as the temp is lower and you don't have to worry about burning the sugar. With chicken, you're going higher heat, and the sugar will blaze past carmelized and into burnt. Hence, the sauce improving the taste. And chicken is direct heat, but it looks like that is what you were doing.

     
  • At 6/23/2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Andakin said…

    Actually yes I am a Minion man. It works really well!

    What I normally do is fill my chimney starter with charcoal briquets and dump those (unlit) right in to the side box. Then I fill my chimney starter 3/4 or all the way with lump charcoal and light it (the lump charcoal lights faster, you could also just light some briquets). Once glowing orange, I dump the lump charcoal on top of the briquets in the sidebox. It can take a little longer for your temps to climb becuase the briquets have to get going. But using that method, I can go up to 3 hours without having to add any new coals to the fire and maintain a steady 225-250 temp. When I need to add more coals, I usually just throw a few more unlit briquets right. Some purists will say you should not do that becuase of the fumes you get when the charcoal ignites. But I have not noticed any bad flavor by doing that.


    Jo-Be-Wan and I have also found that it is best to use briquets when doing a long cook. If you use straight lump charcoal it tends to burn up very quickly and you will go through quite a bit of it. Lump is good for short cooks.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Flamb_Ed said…

    I think I'll show my lack of knowledge here and ask - What is the minion method?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster