Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Thanksgiving comes early

After weeks of being lazy and not BBQin' anything, I decided it was time for me to open my mind and get back to the order of smokin' meat! The meat of choice this weekend, turkey breast. With Thanksgiving just over 2 months away, this would be a good trial run if I plan on smoking a full turkey at Thanksgiving.

I followed the Maple Smoked Turkey Breast recipe exactly from BBQU.net. The 5.5 lb. bird breast was rubbed and refridgerated overnight, brought to room temperature, and then put on the grill. Using the Minion Method (the method that seems to work the best for me), I was able to keep the temps steady at about 250. I had a few spikes up to 300 but quickly fixed that by adjusting my vents or extinguishing any flaming wood chunks. I used fresh rosemary stalks to baste the turkey with the maple syrup & butter glaze.

The recipe said the bird would be done in about 1.5 hours but it took about 2 full hours to reach 170 using straight smoke. The turkey was very juicy and tender, no gravy needed. Although the skin was a little rubbery, it was still very flavorfull with just a hint of the maple syrup and rosemary. All in all I think this was a huge success and one of my favorite things I have smoked. I will definetly use this recipe for a full bird on Thanksgiving.



2 Comments:

  • At 9/16/2006 10:32 PM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    Looks awesome. I just rubbed mine to cure overnight. Your cut looks alot better than mine- mine is bone out, and appears to be just one breast, about 4 lbs. I like how your's is fixed like a butterfly chicken.

     
  • At 9/20/2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Flamb_Ed said…

    I've got to say, that's the best looking turkey I think I've seen. Impressive looking grill too, I like the chimney.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster