Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Saturday, October 28, 2006

REALLY, THE BEST RIBS EVER!

It seemed like it was going to be a good Saturday. Mrs. Be-Wan and I were still mourning the cancellation of our dinner party. We were having our favorite professor from college up for dinner with his 2 kids and the woman he tricked into marrying him. Since we had bought a bunch of pig, we called Mr and Mrs Flamb, but they came up with some lame, english excuse (something like "we have tea and breads, then some telly, then...").

We were still excited b/c I didn't have my normal Saturday morning yoga (SHUT UP- NO COMMENTS- IT HELPS ME FOCUS MY SMOKING SKILLS). Since we didn't have to impress or educate anyone, I riffed and recipe.

I started out with an asian rub from Cook's. I did 1 tablespoon of szechuan peppercors and 1 tablespoon white peppercorns (courtsy of Spice House). I then added salt. I got 2 rack of St. Louis cut spareribs from Sentry, removed the membrane, and rubbed the ribs and tips liberally.

I put the ribs on at 225 with a little oak and hickory (hickory had done well with Chinatown ribs before a la Raichlen).

I then made homemade Teriyaki sauce from Cook's. I did a double recipe, which came out to: 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp fresh grated ginger, 2 garlic cloves, a little salt and pepper then brought to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes till it formed a glaze (Andiken- I just got your attention).

I smoked for 3 hours, glazed once, then went another hour. I glazed, then rested them for 45 minutes.

These things were the most moist, sweet ribs I've ever had. The peppercorns (which I ground to a course grind in an old coffee mill) formed a great crust, and the pepper flavor cut the sweetness perfectly. These things were awesome. My son, Troy, ate more than most high school cheerleaders (about 4 1/2 ribs). Absolutely fantastic. Down south, we call it "slap your mama good".

Try it- you won't regret it.

Larry and Flamb Ed- your loss.

2 Comments:

  • At 10/30/2006 4:17 PM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    Did you train that boy to gnaw a bone clean before he could speak?

     
  • At 10/31/2006 8:03 AM, Blogger Flamb_Ed said…

    Yoga????? Jeez, you think you know someone... Have you also arranged your little grill family according to the tenets of Feng Shui to ensure only positive smoke flows over your meat?

    By the way, the ribs look good; sorry we couldn't make it but both me and Mrs F are now certified underwater breathers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster