Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Blackened winter ribs


As this has probably been one of the warmest and most snow-free winters in decades here in Milwaukee, the opportunities for winter grilling have been many. However, the old chestnut of only missing something when it’s gone is very true. After three months of grill free activity (and relatively warm weather), Mrs Flamb suggested we might want some ribs last weekend – if you remember, the first weekend with snow on the ground for a long time.

We decided on the Chinatown ribs after Joe-be-wan sang their praises so highly, and so set them marinating over night. When the time for grilling came I must confess to buckling under pressure and rather than dig out my charcoal grill from the garage (I have yet to get the snow-plough attachment), just went for smoking on a gas grill with soaked woodchips in a foil packet. I was impressed at how well this worked, I didn’t see too much smoke, but certainly felt it in my eyes when I opened the lid to check on the ribs.

We set the grill at about 300-350, well I say this but to be honest I’m not really sure as I had to clean my thermometer of smoke stains to read the numbers, but ended up cleaning off the numbers too!! I may also have bent the needle because it seemed to get a bit stuck at times – anyway the grill was pretty hot, I know this because I burnt my hand at one point.

So the ribs went on bone side down for about an hour and then were flipped over for another hour. After the two hours they looked pretty good and just needed a little more finishing time, so to speed things up I lit both burners on low for about 20 minutes. Checking the ribs after this time I could be heard to utter such choice phrases as “Bugger” – I’d managed to completely burn the bone side. Luckily most of the meat isn’t on this side, so I kinda got away with it.

The upshot of this is that Mrs Flamb has now decided I need more winter grilling practice and so ribs are on the menu again this weekend.....everyone is obviously very disappointed, and are just hoping I can do better second time around...

3 Comments:

  • At 1/24/2007 10:36 AM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    I love the presentation; especially the animal table cloth.

    Although I'm coming off of a two month illness which included two hospitalizations, I've been smokin' and grilling on my good days all winter long. Growing up in the Midwest, my family never had a grilling season. A little snow meant you had to shovel a path from the Weber to the back door.

    I'm glad you're heading the call of the Moist Heat and your wife's hunger pangs for ribs.

    If Joe-Be-Wan doesn't chime in soon, I fear a dark presence may try to lure us into some crazy indoor method that features liquid smoke and a crockpot.

     
  • At 1/24/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Andakin said…

    "I fear a dark presence may try to lure us into some crazy indoor method that features liquid smoke and a crockpot."

    Was that a jab at me?? I think you're stickin' it to me! Stickin' it!!

    Indoor "smoking" can produce some very favorable meat. Those of you that have not experienced the tender goodness that is oven "smoked" ribs using Lapsing Shushong tea (or however you spell it) don't know what your missing.

     
  • At 1/24/2007 2:25 PM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    I was referring to the Dark side of the BBQ force, Andakin.

    My informal poll of friends and colleagues show that most store their outdoor cooking rigs in the garage / shed during cold weather.

    I just don't get it. Grillin' is good even when it's Chillin' Baby.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster