Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Sunday, September 23, 2007

My new BBQ center (with pics)

















I will make a disclaimer before showing pics of my new BBQ center- I was quite excited about posting these for my WI brethern (and whatever the feminine of that is- sistern?), but am disillusioned now. Many will remember pics of my youngest, Dylan, having ribs for the first time at a year and instantly taking to them, like a young tiger-pup to his mother's teet. BUT- tonight, as we are still satiated from my ribs the night before, I will admit that Dylan's entire dinner was dipping whole-grain, organic wheat squares into smashed avacado- what sort of vegan did I spawn.

But anyway, I'll quit trying to sound poetic like Ed and show pics. Due to the severe NC drought, the grass around my smoker caught fire, so I dug out an area for paver stones. Its working well and had enough space for the Weber kettle also. I did this several weeks ago, but was truly christened last night with some incredible ribs- did my normal spare ribs with the tips on but the large bone cut off (seems to be the standard cut down here). I used the last of some rub that Ed had mailed me when he was cleaning out his kitchen before his move (he never blogged even to tell us that he was safe in the home country- I actually spoke to him- he's having trouble finding good ribs).

Anyway, the ribs turned out great- to counteract the cholesterol surge, we did grilled eggplant and bok choy (I can hear it now: Andy-"BOK CHOY- WHATS HE THINKING!; Ed- "Oh, we call that blah, blah, blah in Jolly Old England"; Skippy- "Whaaaaaaat?"; T-bone-"Whats book choo?"; Andrew-"Bok Choy- that rocks. Can I get your recipe?"; MSB-"Bok Choy- thats got lots of calcium and Vitamin K!"). It all turned out great, and yes, bok choy with some home-made teriyaki on it grills up great- just cut off the thicker part of the stem.

We're about to put in our first order of spices from the spice house. My parents have fallen in love with the Bicentennial rub and blew through a cup of it in no time. We sure do miss the spice house, Cranky Al's, and knowing a lot of people to talk BBQ and Packers with. We have already gone through one tank of propane and propane accessories. I'm having an easy time maintaining temp in this warmer weather (got to the 90s here today), and no more flare ups around the smoker now.

Oh, I met someone that can custom make a 55 gallon barrel into a smoker, so if/when you guys come visit, you may consider driving so you can take one back and do a whole pig.

See yuns later!

Joe-Be-Wan
(I'm the one in the.... oh, how does my wife so lovingly put it..."stupid-looking, Dwight Yoakum wannabe, no-really-you-look-really-stupid, hat." I don't care- I've always wanted one, and it keeps the sun off my neck during long afternoons of smokin.) The rest of the pics are taken around our house.



1 Comments:

  • At 9/24/2007 10:38 AM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    I think all that is missing from the ensemble is a long piece of straw or a corn-cob pipe in your mouth. A nice copper-kettle still producing white lightnin' would be a nice touch. Oh, and no shoes. What about an old rusty chevy up on cinder blocks?

    I did a couple of racks of Babybacks yesterday with home-made potato salad and T-Bone's 2nd Place Tangy sauce. A Packers victory made them taste extra sweet.

    This coming weekend, Menomonee Falls will host a KC BBQ sanctioned competition - The Big Pig Gig. Team T-Bone is going to try for a visit after Sydney's soccer game on Saturday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster