Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Saturday, September 01, 2007

West Texas Steakhouse

My camera is still not working, so no picks.

I recently was in Lubbock, TX (work, not pleasure), but was pleasantly surprised when I was taken to a classic West Texas steakhouse. It was out of town a-ways, and in some very rustic buildings. Cowboy hats were plentiful. I was leaning towards getting some brisket (there was only brisket and steak on the menu) but after seeing a steak, I had to have one. They only served ribeye, and you order by how thick it is sliced (3/4, 1, 1 1/2, and 2 inches). I went with 1 inch.

My friend (a native of West TX) advised me not to have red wine with my steak, as I could be identified as a tourist and be tarred and feathered. I went with one of the 2 Texas beers on tap- Shiner Bock, which is a personal favorite of my wife.

The steak is cooked over mesquite logs, no charcoal or gas. Absolutely fascinating. The steak was almost crusty on the outside, and perfectly medium rare (no blood) on the inside. Was in the top 5 of steaks I have ever eaten. It had the slightest hint of smoke flavor, but was not smoked. Discovered the seasoned it with salt, pepper, and a little cumin. The beer went well, and the side dishes (which you served yourself from the "chuckwagon") of beans, cornbread, slaw, and a potato salad made of mashed potatoes, complimented the steak well.

Given this experience and the writings of Bobbledog in England (well, his experience of his neighbors grilling in France) make me want to try this grilling over logs thing. I am presently getting a quote for a 55 gal barrel made into a smoker with wheels made by true Eastern NC BBQ-ers, so I may soon be equipped to try this type of high-end grilling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster