Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Monday, February 05, 2007

Winter Q

Not to be out done by Flamb-Ed, I want to touch base on the blog. I have been active, but not as much as I would like to be and have had the shakes from the low levels of smoke residue in my blood.

First, as I had bragged to Flamb Ed about, during our holiday visit in the South, I got to visit a BBQ landmark. If you have "Peace, Love, and BBQ", look up Lexington BBQ- I not visited this shrine of Western NC BBQ, but ate there and got a tour of the kitchen- I just walked up and used my best "Up Nort" accent and said "You'd never believe this, eh, but I came all 'da way from Milwaukee ta eeeet here!" and they took me throught there whole kitchen, the smokers, everything. IT WAS AWESOME!. I met Wayne Monk himself, who said that the Doctor of BBQ himself just filmed another episode there. Tip learned- heat your vinegar sauce- they keep their's in a coffee pot on a warming plate.

Next, I broke out the snow plow and cleared out BBQ central in my back yard and did another standing rib roast (read: Prime rib). Probably overdid the smoke, but was more medium rare this time. I also cut off the bones after cooking, which made the meat easier to cut. Went great with horseradish sauce and white BBQ sauce.

Finally, because Ed will reveal it sooner or later (you can't trust the English- look at Tony Blair), I cooked not one, but two, pork shoulders in the oven this weekend. One was for a mexican stew called Pozole, and it was good. Second, and this is the major news, is I did another for a mexican dish called Carnitas. The ingenious thing about that is: its crispy pork! Yes, you heard it right- its pork slow cooked in the oven with a marinade, pulled, then spread back in the pan with the de-fatted juices (well, not totally de-fatted), then put under the broiler and crisped up. I personally think it is incredible- the goodness of pulled pork with the crispiness of, uh... well, crispiness. We'll see if Ed comments- he was pretty quiet during dinner, but I think that was b/c he had to play a dancing game with my son after dinner and he was tired from being at the gym.

Overall, I'm still "gettin' my pork on" despite the weather, but no way is this boy from TN cooking out in below zero weather. Lapsand Soushoung tea is probably in the near future.

1 Comments:

  • At 2/05/2007 4:13 PM, Blogger Flamb_Ed said…

    The crispy pork was good I have to admit. Not that I want to be picky, but... I have a feeling if you check I think Tony Blair is actually Scottish :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster