Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Like I saw on TV

A week or so ago, I happened upon a Travel Channel show that visited many famous BBQ Joints around the country. With their cameras allowed in the kitchens, I was able to see the pits and how each place prepared and served their specialties. One particular place in Memphis caught me eye. So, last Sunday, I decided to try and simulate what I saw.
This particular place in Memphis (can't remember the name) was popular for its pulled pork sandwiches. What struck me was the efficiency of the staff and the use of cleavers. A cook would place a pile of pulled pork on his chopping block and, with a cleaver in each hand, would whack at the pile at least 20 times to get the meat finely chopped. He would then slap some meat directly onto a bun, ladle 2-3 tablespoons of a thin tomato-based BBQ sauce over it, and slap on the bun top to serve.
I thought the finely chopped meat would likely hold a sauce well and also be an interesting texture to try. Furthermore, I decided it was time for me to make my own thin sauce. A hot sauce that looked like it would be on the thinner side caught my eye in Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ Sauce Book. However, I feared it would be a bit too spicy for Team T-Bone, so I altered it. Mrs. T and I thought it came out just right.

The end result were sandwiches that could be called Pork Sliders. They were so easy to chew and swallow, they slid right down the throat with ease. The danger is that I could have eaten four of them.
In Mid pull

Solid to Pulled to Chopped


Chef's Note: After seeing them used on several BBQ Championship shows, I am now a big fan of the aluminum roasting pans. Throwing your shoulders and ribs into these instead of individually wrapping each is the way to go toward the tail end of your smoke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster