Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Second Magic Number

I've been wanting to post for a while- for one, to get the conversations rolling again, and two, to put forth something I've been convicted of now (a southern religious term).

Getting your pork shoulder to 195 degrees (and hitting 200 isn't bad). After many, many shoulders, I am totally convinced to bring the internal temperature to 195. This has also led me to fininshing the last 1-2 hours in the oven rather than starting a new chimney. I pull it off the grill when my temp goes below 200 (usually about 6), then pop it in the oven, set at 250. I wrap well in foil, as by that time, the bark has formed.

I use my remote probe and put it in the oven and walk away until the alarm goes off at 195. I rest for 1-2 hours, then it pulls like mack truck!

I have also developed a technique of tearing into big chunks by hand (with gloves), using my bear claws on the dark meat to mince, then use my cleaver on the white meat. Does well.

coming up next: my perfected, rapid-fire recipe for the adapted, award-winning Ridgewood BBQ Sauce. Later, how did my dueling turkey's turn out on thanksgiving.

2 Comments:

  • At 12/02/2008 11:11 AM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    A month or so ago I finally finished my powerpoint for pulled pork using a Webber kettle. I too have concluded that 195 degrees is the ideal temperature to reach before resting a shoulder. With a grill temperature of 250, the hour per pound plus one hour is usually right on the money.

    Since pulled pork is like crack to some in my family, I'm smoking every weekend from now until Christmas. Pulled pork and sauce make lovely gifts.

    Smoke on, my Moist Heat brother.

     
  • At 1/26/2009 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I second this number. I hit 195 for my last pulled pork and it pulled better then any previous attempts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster