Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Monday, June 26, 2006

An Englishman in unknown territory

As an Englishman, the prospect of barbecuing something other than burgers and sausages came as a bit of a shock. Then finding out that serving food that isn’t burnt on the outside and still frozen in the middle from a barbecue is possible (meaning everyone misses out on the fun game of “Guess the meat”) made my head spin. Then to be told that barbecue is different from grilling!! – What is this brave new world?

As a rookie in the grilling world I’m finding that lots of practice and sticking to what I can do has stood me in good stead so far. Fortunately I have a willing guinea pig to test all my efforts before they are unleashed on unsuspecting visitors.

This weekend I had a couple of grilling highlights after watching England stumble into the quarter-finals of the World Cup. First I assembled my new charcoal grill, a wedding present from Joe-Be-Wan, the pictures are below – great isn’t it! Then (since I have yet to buy charcoal) we grilled some country-style ribs on gas (sorry I know it’s not quite moist heat, but I’ll get there...) These were rubbed with the Spice House’s Mitchell Street seasoning and refrigerated overnight, brought up to something approaching room temperature and grilled for about 20 minutes over a medium flame, rested and eaten. The results were juicy and flavoursome and elicited appreciative noises from the guinea pig.



2 Comments:

  • At 6/26/2006 1:42 PM, Blogger Andakin said…

    Nice looking grill and great looking ribs!

    I actually considered purchasing that same grill from a recommendation by Jo-Be-Wan but went with the Chargriller instead only because I wanted the option to do the side box smoking.

    I'm sure we'll see alot of good smoked meat coming from that grill in the future!

     
  • At 7/06/2006 9:48 PM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    Great looking ribs, mate.

    Not to sound dirty, but having cooked for your new bride several times, it doesn't take much more than a glass of red wine and smoked chicken to elicit grunting noises of approval.

    I'm not one to talk- all it takes for me is Sticky Toffee Pudding.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster