Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Tennessee Pork Loin

Luckily the rain held off on Sunday and I was able to make the Tennessee Pork Loin with Nashville Sweet Barbecue Sauce.

I brined the pork loin for 2.5 hours in a salt & brown sugar brine. If you're not familiar with brining, Weber.com has a good explanation of the process.

After brining the pork loin, I followed the recipe from Raichlen's site exactly (except for adding a little Jack to the BBQ sauce). The sauce turned out great. Definetly the best sauce that I have made so far. It had a sweet and tangy taste due to the lemon juice.

I smoked the pork loin for 2 hours using hickory wood chunks that I had soaked in water with a little Jack Daniels. I also added a little Jack to the water I put in the drip pan below the pork loin. I took the pork off at 160 degrees and let it rest for about 10 minutes. The pork was moist and tender and had a sweet taste from the Jack Daniels glaze.

It was nice to smoke something a little different and I would definetly make this recipe again.







4 Comments:

  • At 6/25/2006 10:06 PM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    Sounds like the brining was a good call. What kind of cattle rope did you use to tie that up? Did you have to steal that form the bullies? Are they running free now?

    Sounds like a good recipe- tangy and sweet.

    No smokin' for me this weekend. On call, getting ready to head south.

    Made a great discovery- if you go to the Spice House in Tosa, they will pour your rub ingredients all in the same bag- saves lots of time and wasted spices. Further proof that the Spice House is the best.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 8:17 AM, Blogger Andakin said…

    That is true butcher string. Which is not easy to come by apparently. I went to 3 different stores and could not find any! Finally I went to Rupena's. They didn't have any on the shelves so I asked the butcher and he gave me about 15 feet of it for free!

     
  • At 6/26/2006 2:26 PM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    Any tips on stuffing such a lovely roast? I know Papa T-Bone (my dad) has had cut apple and some nuts in his roasts before (oven cooked though). Stuffing might be more appropriate for a winter roast. Also, take note that Pork Roast was always my birthday dinner choice growing up. Something to think about this November.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 2:34 PM, Blogger Andakin said…

    I guess you could stuff it with nuts or apples. I had followed the recipe which had you almost cut the roast in half (as you can see the cut in the picture) then sprinkle some JD, some of the rub, dijon mustard, brown sugar, and more JD inside.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster