Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Baby Backs - Part Deux

As I reflected on T-Bone's First Ribs from a few weeks ago, I realized I needed to give it another go. T-Bone ain't no quitter. I also realized that to achieve true moist heat bliss, I needed to let loose my feelings and surrender to the power of the pork.

Instead of following one recipe to the letter or following someone else's fire-building instructions, I went with my gut. I also decided to worry less about home-made rubs and sauces until I get the meat the way I want it. Yesterday's ribs turned out closer to what I was looking for and the total experience was a lot more satisfying.

After a nice warm water rinse, the ribs were patted dry and the membranes removed (a lot easier the 2nd time around). Next, I squeezed some yellow mustard onto each rack and worked in a generous portion of the rub. I then put them in a sealed container and into the fridge for a couple of hours.

Considering that my fire may have been too hot last time, I wanted to limit my coal usage so I decided to use one webber coal basket (used for holding coals for indirect grilling). Overall, I only used about 25 briquetts (5 unlit coals at the bottom of the basket and 20 hot ones put over them). With my limited greal estate, this seemed to work well to give me a steady temp of 240 degrees for a good 2.5 - 3.0 hours. Hickory wood chunks and apple wood chips were used for the smoke.

The ribs were put on a rack and sprayed with a bourban / apple cider solution every 20 - 30 minutes for nearly 2 hours. At that point, the ribs were placed in a foil cake pan with a mixture of cider, brown sugar, and honey. I also placed some D. L. Jardine's Killer BBQ sauce on the ribs, sealed it with heavy foil and put it back on the grill for another hour. A little more sauce was added just before eating.

Mrs. T liked the results (as well as my better disposition).

Note to Andiken: Notice the thermometer placement next to the meat. Sitting up on the rack this way, I was able to read it through the top kettle vent. I also checked the grill level temp of which there was little difference away from the fire.



2 Comments:

  • At 7/05/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger Flamb_Ed said…

    Lookin' good t-bone, feeling the pork obviously worked this weekend

     
  • At 7/06/2006 9:35 PM, Blogger Joe-Be-Wan said…

    Great job, T-bone. The mustard rub works well for oven smoked ribs. some of your other stuff is different, but you're learning the first rule of BBQ- do what you like!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster