Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Success BBQ-a-rama Weekend






Fed the team this weekend. Since I was doing 4 dishes, I spead it over 2 days (smoked 2 shoulders on Saturday and Sunday did Memphis Dry ribs (baby back), sweet spare ribs, and smoked chicken). Will detail highlights below

Shoulder: I did two 5 1/2 lb shoulders. Did the last of my Magic Dust rub on Friday night. Sticking with my rule of 1 hour per pound of meat plus an hour (example- two 5 and half pound shoulders went for 6 and a half hours). Used oak and hickory, which are my favorites for shoulder. Basted with cider vinegar, brown sugar, worcestshire (sp?) sauce and some magic dust. Let rest for 2+ hours wrapped in a paper bag. New tip- wear rubber gloves and pull by hand- goes much quicker. Warmed it up on Sunday for 325 for an hour and added some salt, pepper, and cider vinegar. Perfect!

Memphis dry rub ribs: Used Raichlen's recipe, but used an older basting recipe of white vinegar with dijon mustard. Turned our great.

"Wet" ribs: Used spare ribs. Basted every hour with my new favorite of cider vinegar with brown sugar. Used Raichlen's "Lord of the 'Que Spareribs" rub. Went 3.5 hours at 250, wrapped in foil, then another 2 hours. Used hickory chunks and applewood chips. Let rest for 1+ hours in foil in a cooler. I then tried a new technique I picked up from some restaurants. I turned on my gas grill and placed the ribs on there and brushed them with a sweet BBQ sauce (made raichlen's Nashville sweet sauce- great base sauce) for about 5 minutes. This really pushed them over the edge- great.

Smoke chicken: I've done this a million times, and still turns out great.

Sauces: I think we had a total of 10 sauces, and people brought some of their favorites. Mine was Elmers out of Oklahoma- great mixed sauce. The Sweet Mustard Sauce from Southern living was the favorite on pork, the Nashville Sweet was the favorite on ribs, and of course the white sauce was best on the chicken.

Pictures below. Took a lot of timing this weekend, but everything was well received, adn for the first time ever, I almost ran out. But check Andiken's fridge on Monday- there may be a few things leftover.

Also, check out my fully equipped BBQ cart, gift from the NEW Kids team- was a big help, especially having foil, paper towel, and trash can readily available. The last picture is Fergus, enjoying a rib, and he's a near full-blooded Irishman. If he likes my ribs, then everyone will.

3 Comments:

  • At 7/10/2006 8:26 AM, Blogger Andakin said…

    Mmmmmmmm...barbecue! That is alot of meat. Everything looks great! Now you have to do it all again this weekend! LOL

    My plan this weekend was to do the maple glazed ribs from Raichlen's Ribs book but we ended up at the in-laws house on Saturday and they made some baby backs so I figured I wouldn't make ribs two nights in a row. No big deal for me but the wife isn't that much of a rib fan. Just a side note, boiled and oven cooked ribs, not as good as smoked!

    Instead I made some smoked bratwurst on Sunday. Only took about 30 mins to smoke them and they turned out great. My wife is not a huge brat fan either but even she said they were very good.

     
  • At 7/10/2006 3:28 PM, Blogger tkrimms said…

    I loved the brats. In fact, I think on Thurs we should have leftovers before your game :)

     
  • At 7/13/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger T-Bone said…

    Am looking forward to the first Moist Heat BBQ. I for one would enjoy picking up some tips from Master Joe-Be-Wan. It might convince Mrs. T to invest in a new smoking rig for next year.

    Skippy can park the cars.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster