Moist Heat BBQ

A place to post your drippings

Sunday, March 25, 2007

It's that time of year

I know for most die hard grillers, grilling is a year round sport. All they need is a path wide enough to make it to the garage and roll out the grill. I myself am not adventerous enough to stand out in subzero weather or 6 inches of snow to get that great grill flavor. Which makes the first grilling of the spring that much sweeter!

Over the weekend I went to the Home and Garden show at State Fair. They had a Grilling 101 class with Mad Dog and Merrill (http://www.maddogandmerrill.com/). Aside from the fact that they had corny jokes and didn't really teach me anything, in the 30 mins they were up there, they got me in the mood to clean up the grill and get ready for grilling season!

The first thing I needed to do was hop online to the Chargriller website and get some replacement parts for my smoker. Last year when I bought it and assembled it, the instructions were how to put it together if you did not have the side firebox. After getting it together, I realized that I should have put the wheels on the other end but was too lazy to take it all apart. Having done that, I think I put too much weight on the one side of the grill causing the cheap plastic wheels to pretty much collapse. I picked up some nice lawn mower wheels and hope to put those on once I get my new hubcaps from Chargriller. I also bought a new set of the plastic wheels, just in case the lawn mower wheels do now work. I think if I put them on the right side of the grill, they will hold up a little better.

Of course while researching online, I found another great accessory that I needed for the grill. The Chargriller is great and I would definetly recommend it to anyone. But the sidefire box could use a few improvements. The worst thing about it is trying to dump your hot coals into the box without spilling them all over the ground. I bought some of th Chargriller charcoal baskets but they sit too high in the box. So this season, I found a grilling basket at Lowe's that according to others on the Barbecue Board, is supposed to work really well. I will of course test it out and show it off at the BBQ class.

After making the trip to Lowe's, I cleaned up the grill and got ready to cook up the New York strips I had been marinating all day. I used the standard equal parts W sauce and soy sauce with some fresh ground pepper. Just for fun, I used only wood to grill them, no charcoal. Got a nice hot fire going, cooked them about 3-5 mins each side and they were quickly done to a perfect medium! The wood flavor was great! Sorry, no pictures.

I am definetly in the grilling mood now! I have a pork shoulder and two racks of baby backs in the freezer that I will of course have to use as practice for the Moist Heat cookout. Hope you all are enjoying this great grilling weather like I am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster